THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND


by  Kristin C. Sabo



The Night of the Sabatini Island copyright © K. Sabo
 
 
Absolutely no reprint or use of this material, partial or otherwise, without
the prior written consent of K. Sabo & ThirdSide.com - WildWildWest.org

     ABOUT THE AUTHOR




 
 
 
THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND - act 2
ACTION/ADVENTURE - DRAMA
FOUR-ACT SCRIPT
APPROX. 50 pps (monotype 12-point)
 
GENERAL AUDIENCES

 

ACT TWO



FADE IN

Right where we left off. As West vanquishes the last Gunsel, a hand holding an ornate dagger is raised over his back, preparing to deliver the coup de grace. At the *very* last second, a black walking cane LASHES OUT from OS, breaking the wrist of the THUG wielding it. The dagger falls harmlessly to the ground. West spins and lays out Thug in one fluid kick to the face. A quick glance about shows that the other three thugs have escaped.

 

INT -- GAZEBO -- MEDIUM TWO-SHOT

West finally looks at his "savior"- a distinguished man in a bowler and wool cape, mustache, and decidedly British air -- Sir Nigel SCOTT. Recognition crosses West's features.

WEST
(smiling)
Am I glad to see you ---

SCOTT
(Ox-Bridge accent)
Scott -- Sir Nigel Scott.

(glances at thug)
I imagine you are rather relieved to see me here. [BEAT] It has been a long time, James.

Scott silently indicates the semi-conscious status of Thug to West.

WEST
(carefully glancing at Thug)
Sir Nigel. It must have been five years since we worked together on that case in London. Only one thing could bring Scotland Yard's finest out to the middle of nowhere.

SCOTT
One thing indeed, my dear fellow. You are of course correct. I am tracking a particularly nasty villain.

WEST
Here on Sabatini Island? This is quite a coincidence, Sir Nigel. It just so happens we've just had a little murder on this charming rock pile.

SCOTT
Ah- so he's struck already -- the scoundrel! [BEAT]

(thoughtfully)
I'll venture there wasn't a mark on the body to be found.

During the following exchange, Thug starts to try to crawl away without being seen. West gathers himself to spring at the bad guy, but Scott shakes his head slightly, signaling West off the thug. West complies.

WEST
(a bit surprised)
Exactly... you're familiar with the modus operandi?

SCOTT
As should you be, and any other first-rate criminologist, James. Surely the work of Doctor Jacob Calandar.

WEST
(with certainty)
Calandar's dead.

Thug has crawled out at this point.

SCOTT
So we all believed. [BEAT] The sloth-like minds in control of Scotland Yard still think it so. But during the past year I've noticed Calandar's signature on a few select crimes here in the states and convinced my superiors to let me partake in a short… "sabbatical". I've tracked my old nemesis here, and Mrs. Wentworth has been so obliging as to ask me to look into the hound matter.

West and Scott move to exit.

WEST
If Calandar's not dead, what's he doing on Sabatini Island?

SCOTT
The same thing you are, my boy. Trying to find the Sabatini Treasure, with designs on the priceless Moon Diamond, of course. A prize worthy of such a criminal. The trying part is the fact that we STILL don't know what Calandar looks like... he could be anyone.

WEST
(indicating direction taken by Thug)
And the masked gentleman with the dagger?

SCOTT
(shrewd grin)
There's no harm in letting Calandar know I've arrived…

Scott and West exit.

 

SWITCH TO

INT -- THE MANSION

Lovia walks arm in arm with Scott into the living area, West and Brown follow silently, CAMERA HANGS BACK on West and Brown.

BROWN
That's *the* Sir Nigel Scott? What's he doing on our side of the pond?

WEST
Sir Nigel's convinced Jacob Calandar's after the Moon Diamond, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

BROWN
Calandar? Nah... besides, we haven't even seen this diamond yet. We don't even know if it really exists.

 

WIDE SHOT -- LIVING ROOM

LOVIA
(grandly)
Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the world famous detective, Sir Nigel Scott. He's here by my invitation to look into our little dog difficulty.

Greetings all around.

GILLIG
Detective? Perhaps he should look into Grumby's death before we get to Uncle Harold's will.

SCOTT
(l'air du savant)
Mr. West and myself have already discussed the unfortunate manservant's murder and it's safely said that no more can be gained through direct investigation.

ANN
(nervously- moves closer to Gillig)
So one of us is a murderer?

THURSTON
(chuckles, to lawyer)
Someone's going to need your professional services for real, Hinkley.

WEST
(to Ann, factually)
Apparently so Miss Summers. As if on cue, the ethereal braying begins anew.

HINKLEY
(gulps nervously)
Perhaps we should get on with it then.

All take their places. Ann and Lovia sit on the couch- Gillig and Howell stand behind them, Helen takes a lone chair, Brown, West and Scott occupy the back of the room. Hinkley takes his chair, adjusts his glasses, and carefully examines the document of interest.

 

INSERT

CLOSE UP -- THE WILL

Harold Hecuba's will is an officious-looking, carefully sealed document.

 

BACK TO

CLOSE ON HINKLEY

Hinkley breaks the seal, and settles down to read the document aloud.

HINKLEY
(with dramatic flair)
'I, Harold Hecuba, being of sound mind, in the event of my death do hereby make the following disposition of my material wealth:

To my dearest sister, Lovia Hecuba-Wentworth, I leave my home, my island, and $200,000 cash.'

 

INSERT REACTION

Obviously Lovia approves.

 

BACK TO SHOT

HINKLEY (CONT'D)
'To my talented nephew William Gillig- an aspiring artist- I hereby leave my extensive art collection of masterpieces as inspiration.'

 

INSERT REACTION

Gillig also approves.

 

BACK TO SHOT

HINKLEY (CONT'D)
'To my business partner, Mr. Howard Thurston, I bequeath...

(voice drops)
... a hell on earth. For years I've ignored your thievery, and now I'm ignoring you in my will. May the devil take you, Thurston.'

THURSTON
(leaps to his feet)
You can't do this to me, Hecuba! That company's mine, I tell you! I earned it through years of hard work!

HINKLEY
(uneasily continues)
'To the woman who's strength I leaned on through the years, I leave my sixty percent of Harold Hecuba Productions. Helen Grant, I humbly submit that your first act as majority owner should be to buy Howard out.'

Helen obviously feels vindicated.

THURSTON
(still on his feet)
She isn't even a family member! I'll contest that will! I swear it!

LOVIA
(annoyed)
Oh do sit down, Howard!

HINKLEY
(carrying on)
'To my loving ward Ann, I leave $300,000, to be given to her upon her wedding day.'

Ann and Gillig are clearly thrilled.

HINKLEY (CONT'D)
'If for any reason one of the aforementioned recipients cannot take possession of their gift, that porption shall be divided up amongst the remaining members of this exclusive club.'

SCOTT
(to West, aside)
That sounded like an invitation for murder, did it not? [BEAT] It appears you're next.

West raises an eyebrow.

HINKLEY
'And finally, though I made my intentions to donate the Moon Diamond to the United States Government known long ago, let this document serve as official notice. Upon recovery of the treasure, the diamond will be turned over to a duly appointed government representative for transportation to the National Museum in Washington.'

All eyes turn to stare at the three outsiders.

WEST
Upon recovery of the treasure?

HINKLEY
(shakes his head)
That's what it says here, Mr. West.

(continues reading)
'To the government representative:

"Ring around the ashes, sporting thick black sashes, pose-y, pose-y -- we all fall down?" '

 

REACTION - WEST, SCOTT, BROWN

BROWN
(shaking head)
That must be the strangest version I've ever heard.

SCOTT
And an extremely obscure clue as well, Mr. Brown.

(directly to West)
Someone could be easily misled by such a clue, I'd say.

WEST
(mental wheels a grindin')
How many people have seen that document before now, Mr. Hinkley?

HINKLEY
Just the legal aide who transcribed it… Schwartz -- that was his name. Come to think of it, Schwartz disappeared shortly after writing this up for Old Man Hecuba. [BEAT] Had a hell of a time replacing him…

All eyes are still on West, and he notices this. The hound HOWLS, reminding everyone of its notorious presence…

WEST
I think I'll retire for the evening to contemplate Mr. Hecuba's little 'pose-r'. If you'll excuse me…

BROWN
(taking the hint)
Is it that late already? <yawn> Good night, everyone…

 

ANGLE -- STAIRS -- WEST, BROWN

Brown joins West at the stairs. Both sotto voce:

WEST
How old do you think this house is?

BROWN
(checking behind him)
Older than mold. Certainly old enough to have seen a plague or two in its time. There may have been an older structure on this site before this one as well. [BEAT] You thinking what I'm thinking?

West begins to ascend the stairs, Brown follows.

WEST
'Ring Around the Rosy' had something to do with the Bubonic plague, if I remember correctly.

BROWN
As originally written. But now?

Brown and West reach the rooms. West opens his door.

 

INT -- WEST'S ROOM

BROWN (CONT'D)
You have no intention of going to sleep, do you?

WEST
On such a lovely night? [BEAT] Care for some real field work, Ned?

BROWN
(none too happy, but-)
Let's go...

The two go through West's room to the window, where West checks the two-story drop, gets out the winch-and-peton rig, plants the peton, and out he goes.

West is shortly on the ground, where he presses a button and the winch winds itself back to the top. Brown is staring at the thin wire, then his own bulk. He finally makes up his mind.

BROWN
Don't think I care for the gravity of the situation. [BEAT] I'll meet you out front, Jim.

West acknowledges Brown, and Brown's head disappears from view.

 

EXT -- THE MANSION -- STORMY NIGHT

West makes his way to the front where Brown is just emerging from the front. Brown indicates to West that his escape went undetected and the two head into the wind and the brush both armed, while the ethereal HOWL continues...

 

ANGLE -- SCOTT

Unbeknownst to West and Brown, Sir Nigel Scott has witnessed the escape of the two agents from a shadow at the corner of the mansion. He starts furtively into the brush after them…

 

EXT -- WILDS OF SABATINI ISLAND -- GALE FORCE WINDS

West and Brown search for....??

WEST
(above the wind)
If you were an incinerator, where would you be?

BROWN
(yelling back)
Somewhere away from the main house, but a place that allowed for easy disposal of the infected … erm, *remains*... what are we really looking for, Jim?

WEST
We'll know when we've found it.

West and Brown spot an old house not too far off and make for it. Suddenly a gunshot and a woman's scream stops them in their tracks. The scream is heard again, closer this time. West signals left, and disappears into the bushes, Brown goes right -- weapons at the fore.

 

ANOTHER ANGLE -- WILDS OF SABATINI ISLAND

West reaches out of the bushes, and grabs the passing form of Helen Grant. The woman appears frightened to death. West grabbing her scares her even more.

HELEN
(nearly hysterical)
I told you they were trying to kill me!

WEST
(calmly)
The Wentworths?

HELEN
Howell's shooting at me!

WEST
Where is he?

Helen points --

WEST (CONT'D)
Wait here!

West darts off in the direction indicated.

 

ANOTHER ANGLE -- CLEARING IN SABATINI ISLAND WILDS

West emerges to see two forms lying face first on the ground, one is obviously Brown by the attire. There's a great deal of blood lying around Brown's prone form. West starts toward Brown when a huge black form LEAPS, SNARLING from the brush straight at West's neck…

FREEZE ON HOUND

FADE TO CLIFFHANGER

 


END ACT TWO

 

 

GO TO ACT THREE

 
 

Fiction Main W2-L Main questions? top