THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND


by  Kristin C. Sabo



The Night of the Sabatini Island copyright © K. Sabo
 
 
Absolutely no reprint or use of this material, partial or otherwise, without
the prior written consent of K. Sabo & ThirdSide.com - WildWildWest.org

     ABOUT THE AUTHOR




 
 
 
THE NIGHT OF THE

SABATINI ISLAND - act 3
ACTION/ADVENTURE - DRAMA
FOUR-ACT SCRIPT
APPROX. 50 pps (monotype 12-point)
 
GENERAL AUDIENCES

 

FADE IN

Right where we left off. West starts toward the prostrate, bloodied Ned Brown when a great black form LEAPS, SNARLING from the brush at West's neck. The two crash to the ground. West's head strikes a rock and he's instantly unconscious.

From OS two shots are heard, and the black form races away into the night, leaving an unconscious, but living West behind.

FADE TO BLACK

 

FADE IN

WEST'S POV -- CLOSE UP OF LOVIA

West has awakened to see Lovia standing over him. Quick scan shows Howell, Ann, Gillig, Hinkley, Thurston (nursing a drink), and Helen behind her. It takes a moment or two for West's vision to clear....

 

INT -- LIVING ROOM -- NIGHT

The rest of the room's occupants have noticed that West is back among the conscious. West sits up carefully, noticing that one of his forearms has been bandaged.

WEST
How'd I get back here?

LOVIA
(precious little compassion)
Sir Nigel. [BEAT] If he hadn't been there, you most assuredly wouldn't be alive.

West gingerly checks the lump on the side of his head- suddenly he remembers the whole thing.

WEST
Ned Brown.... [BEAT] What happened?

HOWELL
(looking pale)
I tried to kill that hound, Mr. West. Bullets just won't stop it. Went right through me like I wasn't even there, and attacked your Mr. Brown. When I regained consciousness, it was too late. [BEAT] There's little left of him to identify.

A moment or two passes as that bombshell sinks into West's head. He manages to put it aside for now and is once more all business. Thurston pours West a drink and brings it to him.

West stands carefully and accepts the drink.

WEST
Sir Nigel's still tracking the hound then.

LOVIA
Most likely. He was gone the moment he set you down.

GILLIG
(uncharacteristicaly aggressive / holding Ann's hand)
Are we all going to just sit here while someone runs around killing people and savaging them with that dangerous animal?

THURSTON
(caustically)
For all we know, you're the murderer, William.

Ann gasps at Thurston's assertion.

WEST
(ignoring Thurston)
You'd all be a great deal more secure if you'd just stay indoors.

(turns to HELEN)
What were you and Mr. Wentworth doing out there to begin with?

HELEN
(fatalistically)
I was afraid, Mr. West. I tried to take the launch and return to the mainland.

HINKLEY
(fear creeping in)
Tried?

HELEN
No one is leaving Sabatini Island, Mr. Hinkley. The launch is gone.

LOVIA
(snaps, to Howell)
I knew that pilot wasn't trustworthy.

THURSTON
(sarcasm, slightly drunk)
You always hire the best, don't you Lovia?

WEST
(to Howell)
And you, Mr. Wentworth?

HELEN
He was trying to kill me, that's what he was doing out there!

HOWELL
(stuttering a bit)
W-well, no one else was g-going to do anything about t-that blasted animal! [BEAT] I didn't know Helen was outside as well.

ANN
(to Howell)
You could have shot her!

THURSTON
Then there'd be more for you, eh Ann?

ANN
(visciously)
How dare you insinuate such a thing.

<dramatic pause>

LOVIA
(carefully)
We might ask you what you and Mr. Brown were doing out and about, rather than in your rooms as you'd stated when you left us.

WEST
(easily evasive)
Getting some fresh air…

West checks the lump on his head again for effect.

WEST (CONT'D)
I'd better get some rest. Ladies...

West takes his leave once more and heads back up the stairs slowly, noting that HOWARD has picked up his shotgun and heads for the front door right after him. A few [BEAT]s later Gillig follows West up the stairs.

 

INT -- WEST'S ROOM -- NIGHT

West enters his room, closes the door then opens it a crack and spots Gillig feigning nonchalance at the top of the stairs. West secures the door, then moves to the window. A SINISTER FIGURE in the brush confirms that his window is being watched. West casually closes his window, while carefully removing the winch and peton from the sill at the same time. He then pockets the winch and peton, closes the curtains and extinguishes the light.

Time to play a waiting game. West lies down carefully on the bed and closes his eyes…

 

BACK TO LIVING ROOM

Now present are Lovia, Hinkley, Helen, Ann, and Thurston. We join them in mid conversation:

HELEN
(scared)
...the launch *really* is gone, you know. I wasn't making it up.

ANN
(soothing)
Someone'll come looking for Mr. West, Helen. We'll use what they bring.

<pause>

HINKLEY
(shaking head)
I certainly didn't count on one of us becoming a murderer, Lovia.

LOVIA
(biting tone)
Frankly, I didn't think any of you had it in you to take a life. I'm pleasantly surprised.

HINKLEY
You mean it's *not* you?

LOVIA
(nonchalance)
Why should I waste my time? The sum of our combined inheritance still falls well-short of the anticipated value of the Moon Diamond. [BEAT] Such "illogical" greed I wouldn't put past our Mr. Thurston, though.

THURSTON
(sarcasm)
I'm honored… but too damn drunk to shake your hand, Lovia. Can I offer you a pull instead?

Lovia completely ignores the snide answer. Helen says nothing, perhaps having second thoughts about their plan.

ANN
Don't forget the rest of the treasure, Aunt Lovia. If it's worth even a tenth of what we think, we're all going to be *very* wealthy.

THURSTON
For the rest of our lives, which may be just a couple of hours at this rate. [BEAT] You know, Lovia -- that weakling of a husband of yours has suddenly taken on quite the macho personality. Racing about with that shotgun as he is. Firing at shadows. He's not going to get in the way, is he?

LOVIA
(serious threat)
Oh no- he doesn't dare. Or I *will* kill him. [BEAT] Well? Shall we all sit about comtemplating our impending wealth, or should we be off and let Mr. West do his job?

The conspirators start to rouse themselves, conspiratorially, of course...

 

INT -- PAN OF THE MANSION -- NIGHT

Pan shows no one about, except for Gillig who still has his post on the stairs. A swift hammer-punch from behind dispatches Gillig and West is down the stairs and out the door, the model of stealth. Not a creature stirs in the The Mansion -- West may have gotten away without being seen.

 

FADE TO

EXT -- STORMY WILDS OF SABATINI ISLAND -- ESTABLISH

Forever night here…

 

FOLLOW WEST

West is making a bee-line back to the house he and Brown spotted near the cliffs before Brown's unfortunate accident.

 

EXT -- SERVANTS' OR STAFF HOUSE -- NIGHT

West makes his way carefully up to what appears to be a VERY old home, and its size suggests it belonged to some of the menial help on Sabatini Island. (Cobblestone in construct, with the roof in severe disrepair.) West draws his derringer and enters the ancient building carefully…

 

INT -- SERVANTS' OR STAFF HOUSE

…and begins examining the premises. The interior is a shambles as if violently ransacked, but not necessarily in the recent past. West is practicing serious caution. Suddenly he's jumped by our friends the black-hooded gunsels!

MAJOR 'JIM WEST AND FOUR GUNSELS' FIGHT SCENE. 1-2 MINUTES. JIM WINS

West finishes the last one off when around the corner comes…

 

ANOTHER ANGLE

…Howell Wentworth, shotgun aimed at West. There's an uncomfortable moment as the two look at one another, then Howell lowers the gun.

HOWELL
Mr. West! For God's Sake! I could have killed you!

WEST
Still trying to bag that hound, Mr. Wentworth?

HOWELL
Was...'till I heard all that ruckus. Even heard it above the wind! [BEAT] You think Hecuba's silly treasure may be in here somewhere, don't you?

WEST
(indicating gunsels)
Obviously these gentlemen believed I was on to something.

HOWELL
(looking about)
Yes…

Howell follows West and the two wind their way carefully through the dark building, searching here, and there…

 

SINISTER ROOM WITH FLOOR TRAP-DOOR

…until they finally come to a trap-door in the cobblestone floor of a somber room. The room's original purpose is unclear but it's fairly large and currently rather empty.

West grabs a scrap of wood lying next to the trap door, wraps some old cloth around it and lights his makeshift torch. As the light comes up, Howell and West exchange a quick glance, and Howell slowly raises the burdensome trap-door. He holds it for West…

…and West lowers his head and torso - along with the torch - into the pit opening.

 

PIT INTERIOR -- WEST'S POV

As the torch offers up some illumination, West starts to see some of the detail: it appears to be an old cellar, about 15' deep. The stairs which once led down to the bottom have long since disintegrated. Lying directly below is an identical piece of firewood to that of which West made his torch.

HOWELL
(breathing hard)
See anything down there?

West moves the torch to the right, and spots long-dead human remains.

WEST
(from pit/ voice echoing)
I think we've just solved the mystery of Hinkley's missing legal aide.

Howell blanches and starts to respond. Suddenly a shot SOUNDS from OS, and the trap-door comes screaming down at West.

West launches himself headfirst into the pit along with the torch as the heavy door just misses crushing him.

 

INT -- PIT -- WEST'S POV

West makes his feet and looks up -- the trap-door opens again and Lovia's head appears in the opening, a feminine single-shot derringer aimed at West. She's clearly surprised at West's survival, despite her best attempt to cover.

LOVIA
You *are* quick on your feet, aren't you?

WEST
(smart-ass mode)
Not as quick as you are with that gun. Had Mr. Wentworth become superfluous in the conspiracy?

LOVIA
Howell was *always* superfluous, and suddenly he thinks he's Mr. Great White Hunter. Too much of a nuisance, as are you. We fully expected you to find the Sabatini Treasure for us, Mr. West, but we just can't wait for you to get around to it. [BEAT] But we'll try to remember who provided the lead when we're enjoying our new-found wealth. [BEAT] Goodbye.

The door slams shut, leaving West in near darkness with the remains of Mr. Schwartz…

FADE TO CLIFFHANGER

 


END ACT THREE

 

 

GO TO ACT FOUR

 
 

Fiction Main W2-L Main questions? top