An Interview with Marj Dusay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3913 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2021 :  18:38:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friends, I stumbled onto this interview, which you may enjoy. Most of it is focused on Marj Dusay's experience while working with Jack Lord on Hawaii Five-0, but more than once the lady brings up her experience working with Bob Conrad on WWW, a show she considers "brilliant."

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/dusay/

As most everyone who finds this site won't need reminding, Ms. Dusay appeared as two naughty ladies in "The Night of the Turncoat" and "The Night of the Kraken," both broadcast in 1968. That was the year, I believe, of Hawaii Five-0's first season.

niecie
SS novice field agent

1519 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2021 :  13:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That _was_ interesting, ccb. Thanks for the link!

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2021 :  07:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!
I remember her from one of the worst Star Trek's ever, Spock's Brain.
In the early 1990's my wife watched Guiding Light and I would watch also. She took over as Alexandra Spaulding a few years after we started watching. A truly delicious character. Quite the soap villain. A very pretty and charming lady.
Nice find!
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8636 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2021 :  11:11:31  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bornin62

Fantastic!
I remember her from one of the worst Star Trek's ever, Spock's Brain.
In the early 1990's my wife watched Guiding Light and I would watch also. She took over as Alexandra Spaulding a few years after we started watching. A truly delicious character. Quite the soap villain. A very pretty and charming lady.
Nice find!

I remember her as Alexandra Spaulding, too. Guiding Light was one of my soaps when I was in my college years

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3913 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2021 :  10:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having posted this some months ago, I went back and reread it. I'm impressed by many things.

1. Ms. Dusay's psychological perception: not just of acting as a craft, but of human beings. When she comments that Type-A personalities want to fix things, and crash because their perfectionism can't fix most things, that's a very acute analysis.

2. Her comments about the dynamic between Messrs. Lord and MacArthur on the original Five-O are also spot on—not just about that series, but any successful series you can name. A lot of things combined to make West zing, but a key to that success was the dynamic difference between the leads, who, when the show found its groove, complemented each other. Not only were their characters different; Messrs. Conrad and Martin were different personality types that meshed, allowing each other to shine. Same thing with the original Star Trek: Shatner and Nimoy, both very different, but yin met yang.

3. Why didn't Marj Dusay and Susan Oliver ("Dr. Loveless Died") and Mala Powers ("The Big Blast") and Karen Sharpe ("Flaming Ghost"; "Ready-Made Corpse") become "stars"? They weren't simply endowed with good looks. These ladies could act, convincingly, in a variety of parts. All were dependable: you see their names in the credits, and they never let you down. I suppose they never managed to land the right roles, or series of roles, that moved them to higher viability. And a lot of luck is involved. Before his death Paul Newman joked that his gravestone would read, "Here Lies Paul Newman, Whose Career Flopped After His Eyes Turned Brown."

On the sad subject of death, here's an obituary for Ms. Dusay, who died of natural causes in 2020: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marj-dusay-dead-star-trek-actress-veteran-soap-opera-player-was-83-1274492/. Sure enough: the lede mentioned that she had stolen Spock's brain. Rest in peace, Dear Lady.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000