New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3913 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  16:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year's Eve, my friends:

As this is the Seventh Day of Christmas, it's a bit late in coming, but I wish nevertheless to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6vsmFDXB48

Based on the art of R. O. Blechman, this 60-second spot was first run on the CBS network in 1966. I remember seeing it on my family's B & W Philco. I was eleven years old. Earlier that year I had discovered, among other things, The Wild Wild West. To put this PSA in context, December of 1966 gave us "The Night of the Man-Eating House" (12.02.66), "The Night of the Skulls" (12.16.66), "The Night of the Infernal Machine" (12.23.66), and "The Night of the Lord of Limbo" (12.30.66)—a better than average run of the series, I'd say. The show for 12.09.66 was preempted by a one-hour condensation of highlights from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, introduced and narrated by Eddie Albert. In primetime network television that's about as hard to imagine today as a network's gentle extension of Season's Greetings. In 1966 CBS also presented us the animated début of Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas!

While online this New Year's Eve, may I raise a glass to all the scientific professionals—nurses, doctors, epidemiologists, chemists—who have cared for us this year at risk of their own lives and have achieved in months, sometimes weeks, what in the past took years to arrive at safe vaccines for a horrendous plague?

And a tearful embrace of all whose families lost a loved one to SARS-COVID-19. May the year 2021 bring some healing, however partial, of your grief. May the millions who have died rest in eternal peace.

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8636 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  21:33:32  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy new year to you, ccb. I remember this greeting from when I was very little. I remember being concerned about the saw under his chin!

I have known a few people that have had the virus this month...at least a dozen. My mother lost her younger (68) cousin this week. He was frightened and that made her sad.

Keep well, everyone. Stay home as much as you can and keep safe.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1519 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  12:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remembered the oddly-drawn birds; didn't remember the guy.

Happy New Year to all!

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

558 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  19:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I still remember that CBS Network 'Season's Greetings'.

I remember I thought that sound from the bird was a bit odd, but I liked it.

Good blissful memories from my past.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Col. Richmond (SS Director)

USA
1925 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  13:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year everyone.

-Yours in (secret) service,

------------->>>>> <<<<<-------------
Colonel Richmond, SS Director

admin@wildwildwest.org
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8636 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  14:40:14  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Happy New Year everyone.

Happy New Year, Admin!

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000