New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

EliseHill
Secret Service recruit

Sweden
6 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  23:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately I was reading a story, and one of the characters was doing CPR. Ummm sorry CPR did not exist in the 19th century. Heart stopped, Breathing stopped, YOU'RE DEAD.

And in another story James West carried a shoulder holster, shoulder holsters were not invented until 1943 for pilots flying in both theaters of WWII. I have a suggestion if you wonder if a process or piece of equipment existed LOOK IT UP you can always ask Wikipedia they usually have an answer.

The reason I am complaining is because I am a history professor at a local private university. I have Ph.Ds. in European History, American History, Chinese History and Japanese History. I am currently working on getting my Ph.D. in Russian History. So please, please check you facts before you post your story.

As a writer I try to match my technology with the time period and I willingly admit that WWW sometimes uses technology that stretches' your disbelief but they are pretty accurate with weapons. The malleable explosives, and smoke bombs and some of Artie's inventions are not in keeping with the time period, but then neither was James Bond, which the show was patterned after, in other words James Bond on horseback and the 19th centaury and not mid-20th centaury. The two movies are another thing all together.

The Atom Bomb did not exist until it was developed and dropped on Japan in 1945 which is when the nuclear era started.

Thank you for letting me pick my nit.

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8547 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  10:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Wikipedia:

n 1773, English physician William Hawes (17361808) began publicizing the power of artificial ventilation to resuscitate people who superficially appeared to have drowned.

From True West Magazine:

The most common type of shoulder rig used on the frontier was the Texas Pattern, which made its debut sometime during the late 1870s and is believed to be the earliest style. Texas gunman Ben Thompson packed his pistol in such a manner.

We are not professional writers here. We're fans, therefore "fan fiction." Some of us take the time to research, others do not. It's jarring to read a story with mistakes as you point out, but they are not condemnable. Many people who read do not have the knowledge, nor do they care too. They just want to read an enjoyable story about their favorite show.

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1518 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2020 :  11:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what story here featured an atom bomb, but for what it's worth, the first reunion movie ended with an atom bomb going off. (Admittedly that movie wasn't a shining example of good writing - but at least it wasn't as bad as the second reunion movie!)

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8635 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  21:37:56  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And too pick another nit, posts here are stories only.

See the rules:

http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=482

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000