Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  14:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabatini Death:

When Melanie, playing harpsichord, sees Jill Townsend and collapses, and seconds later West sees the photo of mother and daughter. Great moment, great music.

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8545 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  09:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have so many favorite moments that do indeed "rotate" as I watch episodes. But one generally stays at or near the top as evidenced by my signature. Pistoleros. When Jim sees the still alive Artemus, and the wonderful exchange between them. I just wish the trailer for this episode hadn't been so stupid.

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  12:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The eeriness of the ending of Man-Eating House, when their exit off horses and slow trek inside replicates the dream (nightmare). Chills.
Go to Top of Page

W 3
Secret Service recruit

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  00:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Night of the Iron Fist. When the count tried to steal Jim's horse and then gets thrown off when he whistles for him. I love Jim's laugh!
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  07:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another goth episode, Simian Terror, and another killer ending.
West and Gordon look at each other as the senator cradles Richael Kiel - "Deemus...my son, what did I do to you?"
Chills again.
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  07:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by California gal

I have so many favorite moments that do indeed "rotate" as I watch episodes. But one generally stays at or near the top as evidenced by my signature. Pistoleros. When Jim sees the still alive Artemus, and the wonderful exchange between them. I just wish the trailer for this episode hadn't been so stupid.

Remind me of the trailer...
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8545 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  09:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim is sitting in the varnish car and Artie enters from the outside, clad in a coat (I think). He tells Jim the results of the Pistoleros trial and asks if Jim wants to go out to eat. Jim says how about stew. Artie says I HATE STEW! Then he sees two lovely ladies carrying bowls out of the kitchen and suddenly, I LOVE STEW.

My complaint is they should/could have tied up the story line better. The trailer was obviously filmed after Ross's return because of the new hair styles both guys are wearing.

The script, posted elsewhere on this site, does not have a trailer.

Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  10:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim is sitting in the varnish car and Artie enters from the outside, clad in a coat (I think). He tells Jim the results of the Pistoleros trial and asks if Jim wants to go out to eat. Jim says how about stew. Artie says I HATE STEW! Then he sees two lovely ladies carrying bowls out of the kitchen and suddenly, I LOVE STEW.

My complaint is they should/could have tied up the story line better. The trailer was obviously filmed after Ross's return because of the new hair styles both guys are wearing.

The script, posted elsewhere on this site, does not have a trailer.

They did sometimes wrap up a complex storyline with a sentence or two.
In Skulls I seem to remember that with the bulk of time devoted to the joke ending (poisoning Artie).
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

539 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2020 :  13:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bornin62

Sabatini Death:

When Melanie, playing harpsichord, sees Jill Townsend and collapses, and seconds later West sees the photo of mother and daughter. Great moment, great music.

Yes! Wonderful episode! Another great scene is when Melanie is speaking telling her story about her mother and she turns that knob by the fireplace and she hears those dragging footsteps and screams. She was a good actress.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3864 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bornin62: The eeriness of the ending of Man-Eating House, when their exit off horses and slow trek inside replicates the dream (nightmare). Chills.

Yeah, that's mine, too. What nails this tag are the sound of the lock's unlatching, the creaking of the door hinges, and Robert Drasnin's superlative music. The latter interweaves his minor-chord themes for this episode, which resolve into the West theme in a major key: a wink to the audience. Perfect.
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  08:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

bornin62: The eeriness of the ending of Man-Eating House, when their exit off horses and slow trek inside replicates the dream (nightmare). Chills.

Yeah, that's mine, too. What nails this tag are the sound of the lock's unlatching, the creaking of the door hinges, and Robert Drasnin's superlative music. The latter interweaves his minor-chord themes for this episode, which resolve into the West theme in a major key: a wink to the audience. Perfect.

I love the goth episodes and also love the dramatic endings. I think the two best endings are Simian Terror and Man-Eating House.
Refresh my memory, what is another episode that ended on a serious note? I'm drawing a blank but am sure there are others?
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  13:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running Death: The second woman is killed on the caravan. The look of shock on their faces. They've been on this trip and women are being killed under their very watch. They have failed, and women are dying because of it. The looks on their faces are shock, confusion, disbelief.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

539 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2020 :  18:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Night of the Sedgewick Curse

The look on Mr. West's face. Priceless.

Mr. West tries to enter room 12 in the hotel where he left Mr. Redmond just moments earlier. After a scuffle with two scoundrels, he enters the room and he is surprised to find an elderly lady in laying in bed frantically enquiring why he barged into her room. At that moment, the look on Mr. West's face. Priceless.
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  07:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SordoTheBandit

Mr. West tries to enter room 12 in the hotel where he left Mr. Redmond just moments earlier. After a scuffle with two scoundrels, he enters the room and he is surprised to find an elderly lady in laying in bed frantically enquiring why he barged into her room. At that moment, the look on Mr. West's face. Priceless.

That is another favorite of mine. They even let Red West have a line or two!
The housekeeper gave me the creeps, until I found out she was trying to help West. This was an episode where I would have preferred West having Artie there from the start in the Sedgewick mansion, instead of being on his own.
When the lights go out in his room, he hears the strange sounds, we hear the music, and the housekeeper is there, that scene always scared me.
The doctor obviously has some control over the family, but we are not sure what it is. Poor Lavinia!
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

539 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2020 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bornin62

quote:
Originally posted by SordoTheBandit

That is another favorite of mine. They even let Red West have a line or two!
The housekeeper gave me the creeps, until I found out she was trying to help West. This was an episode where I would have preferred West having Artie there from the start in the Sedgewick mansion, instead of being on his own.
When the lights go out in his room, he hears the strange sounds, we hear the music, and the housekeeper is there, that scene always scared me.
The doctor obviously has some control over the family, but we are not sure what it is. Poor Lavinia!

Yes, that housekeeper Jessica was creepy. But towards the end, Lavinia was creepy on her own.

If you look closely during the out-of-control horse and buggy scene with Lavinia, when Mr. West stopped it, you will see the stunt coordinator Whitey Hughes sitting in the seat instead of Lavinia!
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8545 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  09:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A moment that always makes me smile is in TNOT Fugitives, when Jim is sitting in the chair as a captive and Artie enters in disguise. Jim uses the children's hand game of 'Here's the church, here's the steeple..." to inform Artie where to find the prisoner.

- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  07:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A moment that always makes me smile is in TNOT Fugitives, when Jim is sitting in the chair as a captive and Artie enters in disguise. Jim uses the children's hand game of 'Here's the church, here's the steeple..." to inform Artie where to find the prisoner.

Another favorite episode, notably because the great Simon (Night Stalker) Oakland guest starred. Cannot remember if Red West was in this one but RC, Simon Oakland and Red West would work together in Baa Baa Black Sheep a few years later.
Always liked when West used the derringer to fire the arrow and wire, which he did when exiting the church, with his prisoner. Every once in a while he used his revolver to fire the arrow (Jack O'Diamonds). That would be fun, to see when he fired the derringer versus the revolver.
Some deviations bothered me, for example, I always thought he should have a round ball with acid in the boot heel. It bothered me when he needed the derringer and lo and behold, there it is, one part in one heel and the other in the other heel. Come on!
The worst deviation was Bleak Island when he had a claw on each forearm, just in case he needed to climb out of a pit. Even as a kid, I shook my head on that.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

539 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2020 :  17:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Sabatini and creepy people, that Sheriff was creepy enough.

Turns out he was up to no good.
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  12:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ccb, help me with the derringer versus the revolver to launch the arrow attached to the wire.
Any numbers on which was used the most. I think hands down it had to be the derringer.

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3864 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  09:33:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The piton-shot-from-a-gun gag didn't show up until Season 3. The first episode produced to introduce it was "Jack of Diamonds": West uses his pistol. The first broadcast to introduce it: "The Bubbling Death," the derringer. I did a fast count and may have missed some, but the derringer was favored over the pistol by a ratio of 2 to i (ten episodes to five). Mainly that was due to story-logic: West was often in situations where he'd been apprehended and relieved of an obvious revolver (e.g., "The Falcon"). So he resorted to a secret weapon.

In the real world a pistol would have had more power than a derringer to propel the piton. Even then, in real life I'd guess that nine times out of ten the piton, especially if shot from long range ("The Assassin"), would have popped out and we would have had one fallen, then broken or dead Secret Service agent. The physics are a fantasy.

In one episode West used a rifle and grappling hook to do the job: "Montezuma's Revenge." That makes more senseóbut it's hard to suspend disbelief that a single grappling hook could have supported the weight of a dozen men climbing up the side of a mountain.

The closest approximation to logic was "Jack of Diamonds." There he fires the piton into rock with such force that he covers his revolver with a protective cloth. Even so, West made sure that he had Whitey Hughes & Co. to tie and hold a fail-safe rope around his waist before making his drop.

The most hilarious goof with this whole business, I think, is in "The Headless Woman." There he fires a piton into something from his sleeve-gun while atop a tower. When he fires, the canister holding his coiled guide-wire flies off his belt along with the piton.

It's magic!
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2020 :  07:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

The piton-shot-from-a-gun gag didn't show up until Season 3. The first episode produced to introduce it was "Jack of Diamonds": West uses his pistol. The first broadcast to introduce it: "The Bubbling Death," the derringer. I did a fast count and may have missed some, but the derringer was favored over the pistol by a ratio of 2 to i (ten episodes to five). Mainly that was due to story-logic: West was often in situations where he'd been apprehended and relieved of an obvious revolver (e.g., "The Falcon"). So he resorted to a secret weapon.

In the real world a pistol would have had more power than a derringer to propel the piton. Even then, in real life I'd guess that nine times out of ten the piton, especially if shot from long range ("The Assassin"), would have popped out and we would have had one fallen, then broken or dead Secret Service agent. The physics are a fantasy.

In one episode West used a rifle and grappling hook to do the job: "Montezuma's Revenge." That makes more senseóbut it's hard to suspend disbelief that a single grappling hook could have supported the weight of a dozen men climbing up the side of a mountain.

The closest approximation to logic was "Jack of Diamonds." There he fires the piton into rock with such force that he covers his revolver with a protective cloth. Even so, West made sure that he had Whitey Hughes & Co. to tie and hold a fail-safe rope around his waist before making his drop.

The most hilarious goof with this whole business, I think, is in "The Headless Woman." There he fires a piton into something from his sleeve-gun while atop a tower. When he fires, the canister holding his coiled guide-wire flies off his belt along with the piton.

It's magic!

I am surprised it was introduced that late. Seems like it was always part of the show.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000