OT... Lockdown
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chibbi
SS senior field agent

6014 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2020 :  15:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that not all states in the US have iissued a lockdown but curious if yours has. I know CA, NY, WA and OH off the top of my head.

Anyone in a state that isnít listed?

If your state is in lockdown how have you been handling it?

Do you have a job that is deemed ďessentialĒ and still going to work?

Iím in the Bay Area so we were sheltered in place before the state.
How I handle so far - YouTube and sudoku puzzles that I had given up on. If YouTube wasnít around it would be my DVDís and vhs.
Not exactly essential but am doing remote work. Can you imagine how different things would be if there was no internet.

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8531 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  09:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in a town south of the Bay Area (but I think considered part of the "Greater" Bay Area) that went to "shelter in place" before the state declared it.

I'm retired so things aren't a heck of a lot different although I definitely don't go out and about. I'm ordering everything in--especially groceries, hoping that they have items in stock!

As for passing my time, I do puzzles and color-by-number on my iPad while watching TV. I bought a new 43-inch HDTV about 6 months ago and am I glad I did. I can stream lots of stuff as well as watch regular TV.

If we didn't have the internet I'd probably be reading a lot of books!

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8605 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  21:58:24  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a county employee but the state of PA closed all libraries. My building is a township municipal building and I canít enter it until the 6th, at least. My daughters are both home from college and attempting online courses. Neither of them handles online classes well. My son is a high school freshman and courses never stopped for him. We were prepped for online learning in our district. We did have to get WiFi last Monday since I am working from home and 3 kids have to be online. My husband was laid off. This is crazy.

6 counties are in lockdown, mostly on the eastern side of the state, but Allegheny and Erie are locked down here in Western PA. Allegheny is where Pittsburgh is...we are 20 minutes from that county. We have 13 confirmed cases. All last week we had 0-3.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2020 :  18:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Queens New York - an epicenter. Elmhurst Hospital, which has been in the news, is 5 miles from my house!

I'm one nervous wreck. Since I retired (years ago), I'm more or less a semi hermit. The big difference is now I'm AFRAID to go out. Every time I do a (infrequent) grocery run (distancing, gloves, and hand-washing afterward), I count down 14 days in dread of developing symptoms. So far, so good; but I don't like the odds!

Watching lots and lots and LOTS of Ross, but even that doesn't entirely take my mind off the situation.

Good luck and good health to us all!

Nydiva
www.ross-martin-remembered.com
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

526 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  12:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nydiva, wear an N95 mask in public if you can locate one. Don't be ashamed or scared what people might think, it's your health. If anything, it will give you peace of mind. Stay safe.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

526 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  14:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I too have been watching Wild Wild West episodes during this lockdown, mainly from Season 4. Fun.

And I have been watching one of my other favorite shows from my childhood, Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. Fantastic show.

Television was sure great back in those days.
Go to Top of Page

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  14:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe me, if I could get a mask I would happily use it. There are none to be had and I doubt if the general public will be able to get any in the foreseeable future.

I'm going to try a DYI mask (better than nothing) on top of wearing gloves, distancing, etc.

I also take advantage of senior shopping hours. You do what you can and hope for the best.

It's times like this that I wish I didn't have alcohol intolerance (immediate burning flush over the entire face, neck and ears). Oh well, chocolate and cheese Doodles will have to do!

Nydiva
www.ross-martin-remembered.com
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

526 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2020 :  14:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the best to you Nydiva during these times. And all the best to the rest of you on this forum as well.
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8605 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diva, you have been on my mind. Every time I see Times Square so empty on the news I can't believe it is the same place you guided me and my high school charges through to the right theater. It is astounding how this has shut down so much, everywhere.

Please take care everyone. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home. Blessings on all.

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

chibbi
SS senior field agent

6014 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2020 :  20:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nydiva

Believe me, if I could get a mask I would happily use it. There are none to be had and I doubt if the general public will be able to get any in the foreseeable future.

I'm going to try a DYI mask (better than nothing) on top of wearing gloves, distancing, etc.

I also take advantage of senior shopping hours. You do what you can and hope for the best.

It's times like this that I wish I didn't have alcohol intolerance (immediate burning flush over the entire face, neck and ears). Oh well, chocolate and cheese Doodles will have to do!

If you want to have a tipple I say go for it!
Go to Top of Page

ArtemusFan
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2020 :  16:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm fortunate to live in the very small town on the Jersey Shore. The local supermarket has never had the lines outside that I've seen online from the last place I lived (Philadelphia), nor are the shelves empty. The only things impossible to find are alcohol (the germ killing kind, not the drinking kind) and hand sanitizer. Toilet paper is available, but you have to really look for it. There's an 8:00 pm curfew, and two weeks ago we received the message from on high that we cannot go into a store - any store - without a mask on. I don't mind being stuck home. I'm self employed, and there's always tons of things to do. And my husband, who can do 100% of his job from home, no longer has to do the horrendous 3 hour commute to where his company is located. So we're doing better than a lot of people. Many locals are or will soon be struggling, because the beaches are closed, and the boardwalks are closed, and potential vacationers are strongly encouraged to stay home, and the most of the businesses that cater to them are not essential.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

526 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2020 :  14:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay home, stay safe and watch The Wild Wild West episodes.

And as a bonus, I have been watching Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges. What a great show!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000