Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theFalcon
SS novice field agent

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  00:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://archive.org/details/KolchakTheNightStalker

Lately, I've been binging on eps. of 'Kolchak: The Night Stalker' ... it never gets old. I think the link above is the best complete collection on the Internet. You can also find the series on NBC's website ... while it has an excellent CC option and high quality video, you have to sit through numerous LONG commercial breaks that you can't skip.

A sampling of W3 guest stars:

* Charles Aidman - played Capt. Leo Winwood in "The Zombie", the best ep. in the series, IMHO. Kolchak describes his relationship with the captain as being "long and bloody." In a scene with Darren McGavin at a cemetery, Aidman looks like he's ready to break out laughing, but good film editing may have saved the shot.

* Simon Oakland - his gang in "TNOT Fugitives" drove him nuts, but that was just a warm-up before becoming Kolchak's harried editor Tony Vincenzo. However, "The Zombie" included the rare case of Tony maneuvering Kolchak to do what he did NOT want to do.

* Richard Kiel - I haven't confirmed this, but I think his body count as the villain in the ep. "Bad Medicine" was the highest in the series. This ep. is a good one.

* Kathie Browne - good idea to cast McGavin's real-life wife in an ep., although "The Sentry" is not that good.

* Jim Backus - played the motorcycle dealer in the ep. "Chopper." I'm reminded of what Sherwood Schwartz said when he informed CBS the he wanted Backus for 'Gilligan's Island'. CBS said he was going to be expensive and Schwartz said, "He's worth it." Ditto for his appearance on Kolchak.

* Milton Parsons - if you liked his "shocking" gig in "TNOT Bars of Hell", you'll love him in the ep. "Demon in Lace" where he's selling magazine subscriptions to Kolchak while being interviewed.

* William O'Connell - strange that an experienced actor like him did not get a screen credit in the ep. "The Knightly Murders." His role was brief, courtesy of a spiked ball chained to a stick.

"What's death without a woman's touch?"

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  11:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much!
As I've said before, if you were male and born in the early sixties this show was special.
I wrote to Jack Grinnage once, and he wrote back a very nice letter. I remember telling him how much the show meant to me, and how I didn't understand that it was really a dark comedy in a horror setting. As a kid you saw it as a scary television show, but later in life you could appreciate the humor.
Thanks a lot for the link, I appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2021 :  10:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and my four favorite eps were The Spanish Moss Murders, Horror in the Heights, The Trevi Collection, The Knightly Murders...

Go to Top of Page

theFalcon
SS novice field agent

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2021 :  04:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not many W3 guest stars in the two Kolchak TV movies, but here are the best quality versions on YouTube:

The Night Stalker -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvsQqTCNl5g

Includes Kent Smith, who is nobody's puppet as the forceful and oily Clark County district attorney.

The Night Strangler -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8Te5LpWt0

Includes Richard Anderson as the villain.

Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  08:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robert Emhardt: Tottering Tontine - Knightly Murders (sells Carl a very rare and expensive Kolchak Coat of Arms).
Go to Top of Page

theFalcon
SS novice field agent

USA
719 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  21:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bornin62

I wrote to Jack Grinnage once, and he wrote back a very nice letter.

I dropped by my parents' house last week, turned the TV channel to 'Gunsmoke', and the very first person I saw was Jack in 1960 playing a general store clerk begging for his life before the bad guy blasted him.

Among the non-actors, there is not a lot of overlap between 'Kolchak' and 'TWWWW'. Michael Caffey ("Horror in the Heights") is the only common director. That episode included Gene ("Felix") LeBell doing stunt work. Charlie Picerni did stunts in both series. Donn Mullaly and Steve Fisher wrote for both series.

I've never been to Chicago, but the 2nd unit film footage they made there (from overhead and street level) is really fascinating, even if I don't know what I'm looking at. There's one ep. (can't remember which one) where Kolchak is driving at night and two movies released in '74 are playing on opposite sides of the street: 'Uptown Saturday Night' and 'Truck Turner'.

Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

759 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2021 :  08:54:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kolchak is on MeTV on Saturday night at midnight. I finally saw "The Sentinel", the last episode of the series, last Saturday night. It is the worst episode of the series, but great to see Kathie Brown on there.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

554 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  19:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Kolchak The Night Stalker' a really good show. And the theme music was great too.

But then there was Telly Savalas and Kojak and how he got stuck on an airplane with Led Zeppelin back in the 70's.

Oh my....
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1511 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  11:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SordoTheBandit

'Kolchak The Night Stalker' a really good show. And the theme music was great too.

But then there was Telly Savalas and Kojak and how he got stuck on an airplane with Led Zeppelin back in the 70's.

Oh my....

More info on that please?

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2021 :  06:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the last episode is probably the worst.
I remember McGavin commenting on the problems with the show, and joking that at the time competition included Kojack and Kodiak, so there was confusion about which show to watch. He said that they should have all been sponsored by Kodak!
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

554 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  17:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
niecie,

May 26, 1976 Heathrow International Airport: Flight arrival from Los Angeles…Led Zeppelin and comedian Peter Cook enraged actor Telly Savalas on this flight with catcalls."

May 26, 1976 – Led Zeppelin‘s Jimmy Page and Robert Plant get hammered on a flight to London, verbally harassing passengers in the first class cabin, which include Dudley Moore and Telly Savalas.

Telly "Kojak" Savalas and his wife arriving in London after a flight from Los Angeles. If you look in the background, you can see Robert and Jimmy. Savalas was furious as he had been subject to drunken catcalls aimed at him from the Zep contingent during the flight, including a head slap.

I remember reading at the time how Savalas was insulted and called Led Zeppelin "a bunch of drunks." When the plane landed, the press were all over Savalas instead of Zeppelin. I read that Robert Plant shouted, "Hey, we're Led Zeppelin, we're more popular than he is."
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1511 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  17:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That last bit made me laugh.

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000