Better Freeze-Frames
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  20:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some time ago I unspooled a thread, "Crummy Freeze Frames," which pretty much led nowhere. I may need to take a more positive attitude.

Here's your chance to weigh in on your favorite end-of-act-freeze-frame-billboard-bumpers-into-commercials. Yeah, I think that covers it. You know what I'm talking about: the unique way the series had of ending each episode's four acts.

You can identify your all-time favorite freeze-frame. You have only 417 from which to choose.

You can identify the episode that you think had the best collection of freeze-frames, which we enjoyed as backdrops for the closing credits of the first three seasons.

You can tell us why you one of these is your favorite: perfect image, nice composition, surprise freeze, artistry, whatever.

You can cheerfully ignore this thread and get on with your life. In other words, your can freeze my frame.

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  07:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote for three from Simian Terror.
Senator Buckley clubs, and continues to club, Artie.
Artie walks out of the closet. This is listed strictly for the music, which I am sure was in other episodes, but it just added so much to the tension. The ending confidence exuded by Artie when he is not discovered paralleled the music perfectly.
Senator Buckley cradling his dead son's head, and the looks of both West and Gordon.
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
559 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  14:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further reflection...last frame of Man-Eating House.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

554 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  16:29:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorites, not necessarily my favorite.

'The Night Of Sudden Death' 1965, 1st Season, 2nd freeze-frame in the episode.

"Enjoy the circus Mr. West"

Never follow young dancers carrying parasols in a tropical paradise.....
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

554 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  16:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another freeze-frame favorite. Not necessarily my favorite, but close.

'The Night Of The Inferno' 1965, 1st Season, 1st freeze-frame in the episode.

Mr. West on his black horse riding off with the Wanderer train in the background. Priceless.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  11:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't swear that it's my all-time favorite, but I like the cluster of four daguerrotypes for "The Night of the Puppeteer." Each image, well framed, captures a dramatic aspect of the episode's essence: the puppets (one, a surrogate for the lady), the villain, West in a pickle. The first, third, and the quite charming fourth are unexpected freezes before the dissolve. Only one, the second, trots out director Irving Moore's zoom-in cliché. I'll grant that it lacks a nice frame for Mr. Gordon. For that I'd turn to another of my favorites:

"TNOT Murderous Spring." This, for me, is nearly perfect: the very best freeze frame of Michael Dunn, the funniest of Ross Martin, an acceptable pose by Bob Conrad. The final freeze on the bubbling water doesn't register vividly, but it's a much better image than any of the ghastly cartoons would have rendered.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000