Western TV shows - #14
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chibbi
SS senior field agent

6016 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  10:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/50-best-western-tv-shows-of-all-time/ss-BB15cXca?li=BBnb7Kz#image=38

Making my way to #1 and found our favorite at #14.

I know there have been other list but I do believe they’ve gone up in ranking.

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3862 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  01:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rank-ordering is based on Imdb ratings. It's interesting to note that, of the series of its era, West is beaten out by only three: Zorro, The Rifleman, and Have Gun–Will Travel. Its rating is way ahead of better known "horse operas" like Rawhide, Bonanza, and even Gunsmoke.

And it's really not a western! It's a spy spoof anachronistically set in the 1870s. Alongside its scripts, acting, and production values, I think that's a big reason West still hold up so well. It was never locked into the period because it was never of the period to start with.
Go to Top of Page

chibbi
SS senior field agent

6016 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  12:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

The rank-ordering is based on Imdb ratings. It's interesting to note that, of the series of its era, West is beaten out by only three: Zorro, The Rifleman, and Have Gun–Will Travel. Its rating is way ahead of better known "horse operas" like Rawhide, Bonanza, and even Gunsmoke.

And it's really not a western! It's a spy spoof anachronistically set in the 1870s. Alongside its scripts, acting, and production values, I think that's a big reason West still hold up so well. It was never locked into the period because it was never of the period to start with.

Don’t forget Brisco County Jr.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3862 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2020 :  16:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actor Bruce Campbell (1993): "In the episode 'Brisco For the Defense,' Brisco uses a slide projector to show a trial jury fingerprint evidence. Professor Wickwire returns many times in the series to assist with technology, including tinkering with motorcycles and rescuing the heroes with a helium-filled zeppelin. Campbell told Starlog magazine, "It's kind of Jules Verne meets The Wild Wild West."

(Note to Mr. Campbell: Verne met West from the very first season, 1965.)

Actor Christian Clemenson (1994): "The similarities between this show and The Wild Wild West, and my character to that show's Artemus Gordon, was an important hook for me. It was one of my favorite shows growing up, and as soon as I saw that Brisco County was based on the same kind of material and attitude as that show, I called my agent and said, 'I'll do anything I have to do to get this.'"

Writer John McNamara said (2002) that he became a "student of TV history" while writing for Brisco, reviewing old episodes of Maverick for inspiration on using humor in the Western genre. He said the writing team felt the television audience was ready for a "trans-genre form," because much of the audience grew up with Lethal Weapon, Star Trek, and The Wild Wild West.
Go to Top of Page

W 3
Secret Service recruit

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2020 :  16:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This makes me happy. I'm hoping my daughter will watch it with me. She loves the horse scenes but won't watch a full episode yet. She is only 4. I hate that it was cancelled for violence because todays movies are disturbing in some ways. I don't like a lot of head shots and blood/gore but I love www. <3
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8544 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2020 :  08:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, compaed to current movies and TV shows, WWW was pretty tame!

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000