Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

theFalcon
SS novice field agent

USA
709 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  12:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/wild-wild-west-inside-story

MUST READ!!! The above article popped up when I opened a new tab in my Firefox browser. I have never seen this film and this article killed the 1% chance of me wanting to see it.

I won't give away all the details, but did you know they showed an early cut of the film to a test audience? They incorporated the feedback received (at high cost) and it made the movie WORSE!

The director Barry Sonnenfeld appears to be a rational guy, but producer Jon Peters needs to be put on a leash.

"What's death without a woman's touch?"

Nydiva
SS novice field agent

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2020 :  22:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I so wish the article hadn't contained clips. I was able to forget that beyond dreadful Will Smith dancing girl scene. Now it will haunt me yet again.

Fortunately, Ross was on Love American Style (Decades tv) tonight. That helps.

And in honor of what would have been his 100th birthday this year, I'm doing my own little "Ross-a-thon" to celebrate. It's amazing how much of his work is available on DVD (both commercially, and a few from "private collectors"). I can see it taking me most of the year, and I'm not complaining!

Nydiva
www.ross-martin-remembered.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Col. Richmond (SS Director)

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2020 :  13:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting article!

I've only seen it once, and that was very memorable. Olavee Martin invited me to see it with her at the Television Academy. She was recognized by many there and we had good seats. The theatre started out full, but it wasn't long before people began muttering... then leaving, it was that bad. The most memorable thing was Robert Clary coming up to Olavee, taking her hand, and saying "I'm so so sorry"... before he left. We gutted it out, but what an unholy pile of sh*t that was.

-Yours in (secret) service,

------------->>>>> <<<<<-------------
Colonel Richmond, SS Director

admin@wildwildwest.org
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8605 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  17:21:25  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember my husband and I took our oldest to the drive-in to see this movie (she was 3 weeks old, tops) and looking around to see if anyone else was as disappointed as I was. I was stunned at the awfulness of it. Every time a copy shows up at our booksale at the library I pitch it.

Somehow there are fans of this movie!

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

W 3
Secret Service recruit

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  21:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only watched it one time. Don't plan to give it a second chance. I felt like it was a slap in the face to the original.
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1464 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2020 :  13:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have mentioned this before. When the movie came out, I asked my brother (my WWW-watching buddy from back when we were kids) if he knew anything about it and whether it would be worth going to see. He told me not to bother, that I would hate it - particularly because they made Jim and Artie enemies!

That was enough for me. I've never seen it; never plan to.

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000